Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Already There

"The ultimate joke, the only joke ...

THE OFFICIAL, RIKO, ONCE ASKED NANSEN TO EXPLAIN TO HIM THE OLD PROBLEM OF THE GOOSE IN THE BOTTLE.

"IF A MAN PUTS A GOSLING INTO A BOTTLE," SAID RIKO, "AND FEEDS HIM UNTIL HE IS FULL-GROWN, HOW CAN THE MAN GET THE GOOSE OUT WITHOUT KILLING IT OR BREAKING THE BOTTLE?"

NANSEN GAVE A GREAT CLAP WITH HIS HANDS AND SHOUTED, "RIKO!"

"YES MASTER,"SAID THE OFFICIAL WITH A START.

"SEE," SAID NANSEN, "THE GOOSE IS OUT."


This is the only ultimate joke in existence. You are enlightened. You are Buddhas -- pretending not to be, pretending to be somebody else. And my whole work here is to expose you.
See, the goose is out! You will make every effort to put it back in the bottle, because once the goose is out then you don't have any problems. And man knows only how to live in problems, he does not know how to live without problems, so he goes on putting the goose back into the bottle. (...)
Man lives in problems, man lives in misery. To live without problems, to live without misery, needs real courage.
I have lived without any problems for twenty-five years, and I know it is a kind of suicide. I simply go on sitting in my room doing nothing. There is nothing to do! (...)
What I am telling to you is not a teaching. I have to take away from you things which you don't have, and I have to give you things which you already have. You need not be grateful to me at all, because I am not giving you anything new, I am simply helping you to remember.
You have forgotten the language of your being. I have come to recognize it -- I have remembered myself. And since the day I remembered myself I have been in a strange situation: I feel compassion for you, and deep down I also giggle at you, because you are not really in trouble. You don't need compassion, you need hammering, you need to be hit hard on the head. Your suffering is bogus. Ecstasy is your very nature.
You are truth.
You are love.
You are bliss.
You are freedom."

from: Osho, The Goose Is Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment